Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Culture Shock #15: Unaccustomed to German customs

About a month ago, I asked my mommy very kindly if she would send me my Doc Martens. She said yes because she loves me. I knew that international shipping would take a while, but I knew my stompers would be worth the wait.

Flash forward to a week ago, I got a letter in the mail from the German customs office. I opened it to find an 8x11 black and white photo of the package my mother sent me. Lemme just repeat that in case you didn't understand, because I myself was incredibly confused at first. German customs sent me a printed out, blown up, 8x11 black and white PHOTO of my package. Call me crazy, but I would have simply preferred THE PACKAGE.

In addition to the PHOTO OF MY PACKAGE, there was a letter in the envelope explaining that I would have to pick it up in person at the customs office in Freiburg because it was marked as "suspicious". Reading this letter made me feel more American than I ever have in my entire life. My immediate reaction was: Get your hands off my property!!!! That's my package!!!! You can't keep it from me!!!!! I want my Doc Martens!!!!!! 

My journey to the customs office was long and treacherous. I had to bike to take a train to take a street car to take a bus. The train was 10 minutes late. The bus stop was on the side of a highway. And it was downpouring the entire. Damn. Time. 

Were my Docs worth it?




Absolutely.






P.S. I found a little rock in one of the shoes and it made me emotional because it traveled all the way from the U.S. to get to me. One little american rock. On a long and dangerous quest. Through German customs and beyond.

1 comment:

  1. the little rock is actually why it was classified as suspicious, the damn bastard

    ReplyDelete

Culture Shock #35: It's about windows again

This is more of a public service announcement than a blog post. I'm here to spread the good word that German windows are NOT UV protecte...