Sunday, October 15, 2023

Culture Shock #8: Cake is a German strength

One bone I've consistently had to pick with the U.S. is the inaccessibility of high-quality slices of cake. While it's relatively easy to find a decent scoop of ice cream, you'll rarely pass an establishment specializing in the cake-like equivalent. 

Enter Germany.

I'm gonna be honest, the biggest reason I decided to write this blog post is to tell you guys about the slice of cake I had yesterday. 

Fresh glazed raspberries generously piled atop a whipped raspberry cream and a delicately flakey (NOT SOGGY!) bottom. The best part? A sneaky layer of dark chocolate between the cream and the crust. Ugh. Perfection. I could barely pay attention to the conversation I was supposed to be having. 

A promise to anyone who visits me this year: Together, we will eat cake. I only ask that we prioritize the cake-eating over the talking. At least for the first couple minutes. 

2 comments:

  1. dark chocolate is my love language... let us eat cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wait..... you're cheating on me? with OTHER raspberry pastries???

    ReplyDelete

Culture Shock #35: It's about windows again

This is more of a public service announcement than a blog post. I'm here to spread the good word that German windows are NOT UV protecte...