Sunday, April 7, 2024

Culture Shock #25: Germans pay to pee

I was thoroughly warned before moving to Europe that free public restrooms are a scarcity. If you gotta pee in public, you gotta make peace with parting with up to a Euro. It's not much money, but as someone who is accustomed to free and unlimited access to public restrooms, I find it a little insulting. 

Over my spring break, I embarked on whole lot of train travel, which involved lots of train stations, which involved lots of paying to pee. Each time I found myself waiting for my next train and needing to go to the bathroom, a tense mental battle with myself commenced. How bad do I really have to go? Can I wait the 45 minutes until my train arrives? Number 1 or Number 2?

Underlying this mental battle is the question: at what point is it undeniably worth it to pay the damn Euro? And after I inevitably pay said Euro, how can I make it go as far as possible?

I don't mean to get crass here, and I won't get into more detail (besides casually informing you guys that on March 17th I had a really epic poop in a train station bathroom and that Euro was definitely worth it). I just think the concept of "making the most of your bathroom Euro" is a truly fascinating one. Monetizing the Need To Go changes your relationship with Needing To Go. 

I miss free bathrooms.

2 comments:

  1. The person who has encouraged your poops since birthApril 13, 2024 at 5:04 AM

    Suddenly regretting the frugality impulse I may have instilled in you. (It did not apply to listening to your body’s needs. Some risks are not worth taking.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. make the Germans pay. piss your pants.

    ReplyDelete

Culture Shock #35: It's about windows again

This is more of a public service announcement than a blog post. I'm here to spread the good word that German windows are NOT UV protecte...