Thursday, October 12, 2023

Culture Shock #5: Germans are hardcore hobbyists

I got a preview of the German Dedication To Hobbies back in February, when I was learning how to craft a German resumé. Most of the elements of a German resumé resemble a U.S. American one (Education, Work Experience, etc.) but there were a few stand-out differences. For one, German resumés require a photo of yourself, which I find deeply problematic. Secondly, there is a section dedicated to Languages You Speak (yes, plural). The third and by far most delightful difference was the section of the German Resumé dedicated to Hobbies. 

It is expected here in Germany that you have at least two, if not far more, hobbies that you dedicate significant time outside of work towards (which, of course, is made possible here due to this thing called "Work-Life balance"). While interviewing for internships here in Germany, I spent more time answering questions about my hobbies than my work experience.

I've always associated the concept of a "hobby" as a frivolous activity one engages in if one happens to find time. But looking around at the people I've met in Germany, hobbies are anything but frivolous. My roommate makes jewelery out of avocado pits and walnut shells. A friend of mine goes on hour-long bike rides through the German countryside three times a week. He has also been an active member of his improv troop, The Carrots, for the past five years. Meanwhile, my collegue at work is a felting fiend and fashions mushroom fairies and bearded gnomes out of colorful felt to decorate our classrooms each season. When she's not felting, she enjoys dehydrating a wide variety of fruit and making soap from chestnuts using the abundance of chestnut trees on the school property. 

See what I mean? Like these aren't "I play the first three pages of Clair de Lune on the piano every couple months" hobbies (a self call-out, admittedly). These are hobbies that people invest a significant amount of thought, time, and care into. 

I especially appreciate that many German hobbies involve interacting with nature. Of course, the stereotypical German hobby is hiking, and while I can fervently confirm this stereotype, I have also encountered many hobbies that involve using items in nature as inspiration or tools for personal creative endeavors. (As a quick side note, I am just generally in awe of the knowledge base the average German has about seasonal fruits, vegetables, nuts, and foliage. Did you know you can make soap out of chestnuts? I didn't even know what chestnuts looked like.)

Meeting all of these wonderful people with hobby-rich lives makes me wonder what hobbies I might pick up, or deepen, this year. The fact that I've written six blog posts during four days of sick-leave makes me wonder if writing might be one of them. 

What do you guys think? What hobbies should I pick up while I'm here?

2 comments:

  1. i think one hobby you should try is being a "The Carrots" superfan and/or starting a rival improv troop called "The Carron'ts"

    ReplyDelete
  2. After writing, which should clearly be your number 1, I suggest knitting! For all these long train rides you will take up instead of flying, it's a wonderful, contemplative activity, and: very German.

    ReplyDelete

Culture Shock #35: It's about windows again

This is more of a public service announcement than a blog post. I'm here to spread the good word that German windows are NOT UV protecte...