Thursday, October 12, 2023

Culture Shock #6: Germans love to open and close windows

Yes, there is a formal German word for this practice. "Lüften", which basically turns the word "air" into a verb. "To air." This practice exists because German buildings do not automatically circulate fresh air into rooms, like most buildings in the U.S. do.

I have yet to demystify this manual air circulation practice. I still have no idea what factors determine whether a window should be open or closed, tipped from above or swung wide like a door, propped open, or locked. The following are patterns that I've slowly picked up over my past two months of living with Germans. I have no idea how many of these patterns are significant and how many are random coincidences. For all I know, they're all messing with me and none of these patterns mean anything.

1. Windows generally stay closed when it's dark out and the lights inside are on. I assume this is to prevent German Moths for taking up residence in our kitchen cupboards.

2. Windows are closed and locked when no one is home. I assume this is to prevent German Humans for taking up residence in our kitchen cupboards. 

3. Windows are opened in the early mornings. To welcome the new day with some fresh air? To rid ourselves of night demons? I have no clue.

4. Windows are opened in the evenings. To end the day with some fresh air? To rid ourselves of day demons? I also have no clue.

5. Bathroom windows are opened post-shower to encourage the drying of all surfaces. Importantly, one must remember to close these windows before rushing back into the bathroom to poop if one is not interested in half the neighborhood hearing and/or seeing them perform said poop. 

6. Classroom windows are opened when children's eyelids start to droop. I assume the fresh air is meant to wake them up, but it mostly just lets in a host of outside noise that distracts everyone for the next 15 minutes.

7. All of these patterns will fundamentally change as soon as we start heating our buildings. 

That's all folks! I hope to look back on this post and chuckle in lüften-fluency. But for now...I'll soldier on...enjoy your automatically circulated air, everyone.

2 comments:

  1. can't believe Germans have pioneered the ridding of both day AND night demons. revolutionary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are learning something very essential, Emma. „Lüften" being done right, is a highly effective way to exchange air without using energy :))
    Now, you should explore the term : „stoßlüften", Emma. That was all the rage during Covid!

    ReplyDelete

Culture Shock #35: It's about windows again

This is more of a public service announcement than a blog post. I'm here to spread the good word that German windows are NOT UV protecte...